Eczema Relief - Homemade Oatmeal Bath


JT had some really dry patches on his legs that we could not get rid of no matter what lotions or creams we tried (and this crazy weather this winter made them worse). My MIL took some pictures of his legs to her dermatologist appointment and he said it looked like eczema, which is common in children and he would likely outgrow it. He also said we should get hydrocortisone cream to see if that works and if not to bring him in and he may need to be prescribed a cream.


I decided to try to combat this myself first, so I bought some organic rolled oats (any rolled oats or plain instant oatmeal will work) and a coffee grinder (my mini-food processor wasn't up to snuff). I put about 1/3 cup of the oats in the grinder at a time and ran it for about 10 seconds until the oats were powder. I then transferred the powder into an airtight container and put a 1/2 cup scoop in it.

Add 1/4-3/4 cup of the oatmeal powder (we've been using 1/2 cup) to running bath water. We also apply Boudreaux's Baby Butt Smooth Dry Skin Ointment to JT's legs twice a day. That's it - easy and effective! Within 2 days, his legs were as smooth as his bottom!





Bubble baths can dry out skin, but JT really loves them so we sometimes use 1/2 natural bubble bar in the bath in addition to the oatmeal.

*Please note that I am not a doctor and this routine may not work for you or your children. This is simply what helped my child, so I wanted to pass it along! :)

Comments

Popular Posts