Fun Tot Activity - Homemade Gak


Do any of you '80s and '90s kids remember the gooey, stretchy substance called Gak? Well, I had several colors and had so much fun squishing, pulling, and stuffing it back into it's star-ish shaped "splat" container and making those sounds! I wanted my son to experience the same kind of awesomeness (minus the container), so I searched the land of the Internets and found this recipe. Here you go:

Homemade Gak Recipe:

  • 1 cup Elmer's School Glue
  • ~ 1 cup liquid starch (I found some at my local grocery store)
  • Food coloring (color of your choice)
Pour the glue and some food coloring into a bowl and stir until combined. Add the starch in small increments while stirring, eventually kneading with your hands until it forms into one blob. You may need to use more or less starch depending on the consistency (keep kneading - it will get there!). 

Helpful hint: Undress your child down to his/her diaper or underwear as this won't stick to their skin but will stick to fabric - I've heard an equal parts vinegar and water mixture will get it out of clothing though. 









JT had a blast with this and we will definitely make this again soon!

Have fun! :)

Comments

Popular Posts